Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hannah Reviews Episode #2 of Next Food Network Star!

As discovered in the previews, this week’s episode centered on a mini Burger Bash competition.  I really liked this challenge because it allowed the stars to get really creative.  Also, we got live presentations in episode 2!  To me, it seems like these are always a little bit later, but I could be wrong about that?  The live presentations are one of my favorite parts of the show because you really get to see how each one is around people.  (Side note:  I really loved that they brought the dials back for the second episode in a row!  It really helps give you an image of how well liked each one was by the people in the crowd.)

This week’s episode introduced what I believe could be the first real rivalry of the season.  Food Network has been putting this “rivals” thing out there a lot this season, which is interesting.  I technically don’t agree with the Russell/Viet one just yet, but these people probably know something that I do not.  The rivalry they introduced/hinted at (a lot) tonight was Danushka vs. Nikki.  This rivalry is mostly just Danushka dissing Nikki, but really, even if Nikki was throwing some disses at Danushka (at this point) I wouldn’t blame her!  Danushka called Nikki boring like vanilla (and the NFNS and Survivor worlds collided!)  She also said she would never watch a show hosted by someone with the last name Dinki.  This seems like a valid reason, am I right? (Note: Sarcasm)  Danushka also voiced a lot of hate for Nikki’s presentation.  In all fairness, Nikki’s presentation was down a few notches from that of last week’s episode, but she still did better and was more well liked than Danushka!  Oh the drama inside of #TeamHannah at the moment!

Way to go, Russell!  A nice improvement over last week's
episode!  From 10th place to 1st!  Let's keep it like this!
A shining star emerged in tonight’s episode and, fun fact, this shining star is a close friend of AustHan. (I don’t know how much of a lie this is, but we’ll go with it.)  That shining star was, of course, Russell!  Russell was shown struggling a bit last week.  His intensity needed to be toned down some in order to bring his likability up, and he did a great job of doing this in tonight’s episode!  His “7 culinary sins” make for a really interesting concept and a concept that worked very well in tonight’s challenge!  Of course, how can you go wrong with bacon?  I’m pretty sure you can’t.  Also, it’s pretty important to note that tonight’s edit was very Russell heavy and seemed in much favor of him, so I’m sure we’ll be seeing this guy for many episodes to come! #TeamHannah

Would this truly be a Hannah NFNS review/recap without a section dedicated to Viet somewhere within the first few paragraphs?  No, no it would not be.  A lot of buzz has been surrounding Viet since the premiere episode where people believe he’s too popular to be there?  While I can see their viewpoints, I clearly have to disagree.  Viet is not the only successful one in this bunch.  (And that’s all I’ll say on this topic.. Next.)  Viet made some more improvement in this episode!  He mentioned his fear for public speaking, but despite having to be the first presentation, you could hardly tell he hated public speaking!  He was much more comfortable in this episode!  The judges liked the improvement and once again enjoyed his food.  My favorite Viet moment from this episode would be when he said that he didn’t think he did that bad (after the competition ended) because others had less coins than him.  Keep the positive attitude, Viet!  #TeamViet

Some other notes to make about tonight’s episode:

In the previews, they made a huge deal about the Damaris crying at judging thing.  They made it seems as if the “you’re isolating the male viewers” comment was aimed at her after she shimmied during her presentation.  In reality, this comment was aimed at Andres.  They told Andres this because he was tending to imply that men can’t cook.  In the end, Andres’ story of weight loss wasn’t enough to keep him in the competition, as the judges thought he didn’t want to use it to his advantage.  They thought this was the thing that would connect him the most with the audience, and he was therefore the one sent home.  I’m sad to see another go, but happy to see that it was another #TeamAustin member.  That currently makes the draft score: Team Hannah (6) and Team Austin (4).  I’m not getting my hopes up just yet though!
“Cooking is as manly as growing a beard!” –Andres
Andres becomes the second eliminated from the competition, leaving only 10 hopeful stars
to compete for the title of the Next Food Network Star!
In this episode, Stacey and Chad both stayed consistent with good performances.  I would likely place Chris in this category too, but I feel that he’s more in the lower middle of the pack at this point.  Nikki, as mentioned before, didn’t perform quite as well this week, but the judges seem to have a lot of confidence in her ability and I’m sure she’ll turn it around.  I was really hoping that Danushka would turn things around this week, but I honestly don’t know if I can see her ever doing this.  She seems very set in her ways and I believe her food may always remain in the less-inventive section of this group.  The drama she wants to surround herself with (by disliking many of the contestants) will probably also not play out well for her in the end game, if she were to make it there.

My favorite moment from tonight’s episode was shown when the burger enthusiasts were going around to vote for the different stars and trying their burgers.  A guy that looked suspiciously like a long lost brother of Chad was quite the Chad fan!  If you missed this moment of hilarity (at least I found it hilarious) please, go rewatch that section of the episode.  It was glorious.

As for how the tokens played out in tonight’s episode, I, with a little help (very little help) from Austin, compiled the results and here they are!

So, #TeamHannah, being up one member, still won the token
advantage, but only by 2 tokens!

What did you think about tonight’s episode?  Do you have any emerging favorites?  Were any of your first impressions off?  Let me know your thoughts by tweeting me @theonlytrace or @AustHansWorld, or simply leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment