Thursday, February 14, 2013

TBT: Valentine's Day REMIX - BB9


The BB9 Houseguests


Since 2008, Valentines Day has ALWAYS reminded me of one of my absolute favorite seasons of BB. Big Brother Til Death Do You Part…Until Amanda and Allison had simultaneous medical emergencies in the house and the title was abruptly dropped to the standard Big Brother 9. The only winter edition of Big Brother to ever air in the U.S. and one that I feel is constantly underrated. So, the winner and runner-up completely sucked, and a few people got into some legal trouble following the show. Is that a reason to hate on such a delightful season? Not in the slightest! Hopefully in reading this glorious TBT article, you will be persuaded to blow up Quirkydudes YouTube channel and give this season another shot.

Why Austin Loved BB9:

It was on during the winter!

If you are as obsessive over BB as I, you were likely ecstatic over the writers strike of 2008. Big Brother is a once a year event. Like Christmas! Imagine if tomorrow it was announced that we in America would begin celebrating Christmas twice a year. Most people would be pretty thrilled! I remember the moment I found out a winter edition of BB was in the works. It was a chilly night in December, and I was lounging on my couch half a sleep, the CBS evening news playing faintly in the background.  When a segment about the looming writers strike came on, I was barely paying attention. Until they mentioned the following, “reality shows, such as Big Brother, which will air its first winter season, will play a large role in getting through the strike” I immediately sprung from my cat nap and grabbed my lap top. To Google I went, for more information on this exciting subject. Low and behold a winter season was in the works! I circled the premiere date on my calendar, and anxiously awaited the start of the season. When premiere day finally arrived, it’s quite possible that I missed the first hour of school so I could stay home and watch the Early Show so I could see the house tour and meet the new houseguests. I have no shame!

The cast was EPIC!

Whether you want to believe it or not, the cast of BB9 was amazing! I can honestly say that there is but one person from the season that I’d prefer to never see on my TV again. Which I probably don’t have to worry about happening, as I believe he is “busy” for the next few years…

My favorites from this season include:

Sheila – What is not to love about Sheila? She was amazing! I was so distraught over eviction. She was also “45 frickin’ years old” which she lovingly reminded us everyday. My feelings for Sheila are about as equal as my feelings for Britney. Which, we all know are strong!

Chelsia – Chelsia was one of my favorites from the start! She was outspoken, and spunky. She was also the youngest houseguest in the group. I always tend to like the younger houseguest’s because I like seeing them hold their own against the “older” crowd. Which she did…and then some! Her partnership with Crazy James was great, and the moments of entertainment this girl provided have been unmatched in seasons since.  It was an added bonus that I got the chance to somewhat “work” with her during my stint as a SuperPass Fan Recap host this past summer. #ThanksChelsia

Sharon – Sharon was homegirl was before Julie Chen was Frank’s! She was from the same area as I, so I immediately began rooting for her. Not to mention the fact that I just liked her as a person. She was funny, and she was great at playing the game. The way she cared for those guinea-pigs was also quite entertaining. #BEEEBBBBIIIEEESSS

Joshuah – Where do I begin with Josh? This guy was HILLARIOUS! He was super dramatic, and super gamey. Which are all things that make me happy in life! I loved his partnership with Sharon also. I vividly remember BBAD coming on the night of the premiere and seeing Sharon back in the house with him in the first scene. I immediately ran around cheering!

Alex – Alex was robbed! I honestly feel like he could have been one of the real gamers that season. His downfall was Amanda! I liked Amanda, but I liked Alex more. His talk show was also amazing, and I could have stood to watch more of that. Of the BB9ers, Alex is one of the ones I’d love to see return. Possibly wish Sheila? She did have a huge crush on him after all!

I won’t detail the remaining favorites, but I was a fan of Crazy James, Amanda, and Matt and Natalie. So essentially, I rooted for four couples and Sheila.

Most Insane Moments of BB9:

Umm, where do I even begin with this? There are so many! I’ll rank them in order of importance.

  1. The most EPIC BB fight of all time – It all took place in the backyard, and featured Josh, Alex, and Chelsia in a brawl with Amanda. There was talk of a noose, rape, and someone was called horse face. It all ended with Allison rushing a crying Amanda out of the backyard like she was a Jerry Spring handler. Fun Fact: I’ve watched this on YouTube at least twice a year since it occurred!
  2. Chelsia Vs. Easter Eggs – With her impending eviction looming, Chelisa cracked (pun fully intended) on the holy day of 2008. The houseguests had painted some eggs, when they were “D-U-N” done, things got a bit spicy when Chelsia decided to smash all of them in an epically hilarious meltdown.
  3. Chelsia’s Eviction Speech – Probably the best speech in the history of Big Brother, nothing I can say would do it justice. It involved calling people out, people being rode hard and put away wet, and friendly advice to a fellow houseguest to pursue an education.
  4. Medical Emergency – Both Amanda and Allison just happened to need emergency medical attention at the same time. It was quite possibly one of the most intense moments of the show. Amanda suffered from hypoglycemia and had a seizure, while Allison experienced an allergic reaction. Both were taken from the house and rushed to the ER. They both returned later, feeling much better.
  5. Joshuah and Natalie Bless the BB House – In order to ward off the evil spirits in the BB house, Natalie and Josh decide to bless the house with Sharon’s precious moments bible and some “holy” water. An instant classic! 
  6. That Time Alison and Sheila Pretended to be Lesbians - In a genius plan, these two besties decided they'd pretend to be lesbian life partners. It didn't work it so well!
  7. Fight 1                  
  8. Fight 2
  9. Fight 3
  10. Fight 13,679
  11. Do you get where I'm going with this?


All in all, Season 9 provided the BB viewer, with an abundance of fun! Maybe it was just too much for some, or maybe those who dis such a fantastic season aren’t as committed to BB as they claim. People are always quick to dismiss the season as one big orgy, when in reality that happened ONE TIME! Alright, get off your soap box! Nobody’s perfect! There were bigger make out sessions happening in the hallway of my ghetto High School. I strongly encourage you all to revisit this season tonight, as you sit at home, all alone on Valentines’ day! 

FUN FACT: It is also worth noting, that I was late to school the morning after Eviction shows so many times during BB9, that I had to have a meeting with the counselor at my school. She feared I was having some sort of personal crisis. I told her I had a chronic stomach problem…this was a lie! So, counselor that I lied to in 2008, if for some reason you’re reading this right now, I apologize. (Okay, so I really don’t apologize, because missing my 10th grade Algebra class honestly meant nothing to me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment