Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hannah grades 'The Bachelor' season premiere!

Juan Pablo Galavis becomes the eighteenth
'Bachelor' in the show's history.
Photo Credit:  ABC / The Bachelor
It's that time of the year, friends!  That time that ABC presents us with another season of 'The Bachelor' and I sit here and critique and grade it.  This is the series' eighteenth season and honestly, I think ABC is getting a little desperate with this one.  I have heard #Juanuary enough times to last me a lifetime and we're only eight days into the month!  Juan Pablo was on the last season of 'The Bachelor' until Desiree eliminated him the sixth week.  I was honestly somewhat surprised with the network's choice for him to be the Bachelor.  I'll admit, I barely watched that season, but when I did, I felt like he was never shown.  And, on top of that, he "placed" around seventh overall on that season and most Bachelors are those guys who made it until the very end (or at least close to it) of their seasons.  Juan Pablo does have his looks and international, athlete vibe working for him, though.
You can read last season's 'The Bachelorette' post HERE.

The Previews and Pre-Meetings:
As much as I question the choice of Juan Pablo as Bachelor (+1 point) for them choosing him over Drew.  I simply would not have been able to handle/watch Drew for a whole season.  Am I the only one bothered when they make parents of young children the Bachelor/Bachelorette and put the kid into literally every aspect of the show?  I feel like if my parent was a Bachelor/Bachelorette I'd do something very stupid any time they pointed the camera at me.  (-2 points just because I always get annoyed by this.  Like, okay, he's a good parent and that's a huge part of his life, but can we not?)  Oh, and I don't want to get on a soap box about this, but, Juan Pablo's daughter only appears to speak Spanish.  I feel like this is unfair for any of the women on the show, because let's be honest:  You could want to have his daughter in your life, but it's extremely hard to make happen if you can't speak much Spanish.  You shouldn't *have* to learn a new language for love, in my opinion.  But who am I to say?  For all I know, they might have cast girls who are bilingual.

Then the most recent Bachelor, Sean Lowe, decides to stop by to talk to Juan Pablo.  (-2 points) for the show trying to make me believe these two are good buds or anything.  They weren't even on the same season.  I'm not buying this friendship.  No no no.  But (+2 points) for the fact that Sean and Catherine's wedding is so close!  I'm actually happy to see another Bachelor couple succeed and even more happy that it's those two.  Yay televised weddings!

Then we get some previews!  Okay, pause.  I think I like Chelsie already.  Yes, it may be just because she's from Columbus, Ohio (fellow Ohioans are always a favorite of mine on these shows) and because her occupation is "Science Educator" (I mean, c'mon, science and math educators are destined BFFs!), but nonetheless.. (+3 points) for casting someone.....kind of like me?  (This has yet to be deemed true or false.) Oh look, Renee is another parent!  Side note:  I hope if I ever have children, my body will look as fantastic as hers afterwards.  Andi seems normal, so (+1 point) for that.  Amy J. the massage therapist seems like a TOTAL nut.... oh my God, I'm obsessed.  (+2 points) "I want a man that wants to me rubbed by me!" *Giggling by self on the couch* I love when they cast these crazies.   Nikki is absolutely beautiful, but maybe a bit too Kacie B. for me to really root for her to win.  It makes no sense why someone like Lauren H. would go on the show.  (-3 points) because she was recently engaged and broken up with!  Like, going on a show and dating a guy who is dating 26 other girls?  Probably not the greatest way to get over a past relationship or find a new guy.  (-3 points) for all of these girls learning a sentence or two of Spanish.  Do they think they're the only girl who is going to do this same thing?  But (+1 point) because if you really want this guy, one or two sentences is only the beginning for you!  And NO, I take it back... Lacy is totally the new Kacie B!  Their names even rhyme!  NO!!!!!! (-2 points)

Points for this round: -2 points
Current total of points: - 2 points

The Meetings:
This is obviously my favorite part of the episode.

  • Cassandra: There is an awkward moment of silence with these two.  Hilarious. (+1 point)
  • Christine: (+2 points) for her green dress because I really, really love/want it.
  • Nikki: (-2 points) for the weirdness of her making him listen to her heart, albeit creative.

(+2 points) for Juan Pablo saying "No more limos!" after THE FIRST ONE.

  • Kat:  She seems likable.  Probably will root for her if she lasts very long. (+1 point)
  • Chantal: (-1 point) for this girl thinking for a second that her name is hard to pronounce.. honestly, what?
  • Victoria:  I marked this girl pre-show as someone who'd go far, but now I'm not sure.
  • Lucy: She's a free spirit!  This girl definitely did not apply to be the show. (-2 points)
  • Lauren S:  Her first meeting started of really cute, but then went to bleh. (-1 point)

(+1 point) for Juan Pablo running into the house because he missed Lauren's name! ha!

  • Chelsie:  She steps out of the limo, and I automatically go "Werk it, gurl!  Werk it for Ohio!"  Her first meeting with him was cute, but not sure he was 100% following it.
  • Ashley: She's a teacher and gave him a gold star.  Can we not..... (-2 points)
  • Clare: WHY WOULD YOU THINK SHOWING UP LOOKING PREGNANT IS A GOOD IDEA? ON WHAT PLANET WOULD THIS BE A GOOD IDEA? (-1 point) because that is just so weird.  Why did that happen?
  • Alli: I want to like her, but bringing a soccer ball is...boring to me. (-1 point)
  • Amy J: Actually LOL'ing at Juan Pablo seeming impressed with the nutty one. (+3 points)
  • Alexis:  She's speaking Spanish and is from his city!  Meant to be?  Their meeting is a bit lackluster though, sadly.
  • Sharleen:  This girl seems normal... but like a stick in the mud as well.  Actually, I think she might end up being a favorite.  She's an opera singer.  He wants to end up hearing her sing.  She says "We'll see!"  Obviously she's not too hopeful for a future relationship.
  • Andi: She's definitely one of my favorites from the start.  She tells him that he can't forget her name since he made her tell him it twice.  (+1 point) for snarky.
Points for this round: 2 points
Current total of points: 0 points

The Night / Juan Pablo Getting to Know the Girls:
Juan Pablo seems so overwhelmed by all of these girls wanting him.  There's a photobooth in the mansion this season! (+1 point) because if I were there, I would never leave it!  Nikki says "I feel like we all know him to a certain point."  Yes, from the whole like 5 minutes they showed of him on Desiree's season? Yes, I know him to a certain point...called... he has a cute face and also a daughter.  Oh and he played soccer!  "Renee, we have so much in common.  We're parents!" I guess I should be a parent before I make fun of these people.  Maybe Lucy is the real nut of the season?

Omg!  Amy J is the next one!  This is too much weird at once.  Obviously the reason the first episode of each season is so great! (+1 point)  I would be more worried for Juan Pablo is the cameras were not there, that's all I'm going to say.  My girl Chelsie goes into the photobooth with him. OH my gosh.  (+2 points) for ChelsPablo!  Lauren H brings us the first tears of the season.  She is obviously not prepared or ready to be on this show.  (-2 points) for how much they're overdoing this whole drama.  While I know she probably had to bring it up at some point (-1 points) because talking about your ex right off the bat is probably not the best way to start things off with a new guy.  Juan Pablo so obviously likes Andi, it's insane.  I think she's going to get the first impression rose.  Sharleen seems so intelligent and she admits she knows no Spanish.  He seems to really like her and she's getting the first impression rose without even trying!  I love this!  But she doesn't feel insta-chemistry.  OMG.  What is happening? I like this weirdness/realness.  (+5 points)  "Will you accept this rose?" "Sure.." HAHAH yes upon yes!!! (+2 points) 

Points for this round: 8 points
Current total of points: 8 points

The Rose Ceremony:
The first girls to get roses are the ones I think will go far anyway based on their edits.  The dog lover girl (I don't even remember her name) gets a rose along with her dog.  Is the dog going to be there the whole season?  (-2 points) because this is strange to me.  (+2 points) because Chelsie and Kat get roses right after one another.  My favorites.  (+1 point) because Kylie walked up thinking he said her name instead of Kat's.  So hilarious yet embarrassing for her.  Lucy the free spirit got a rose?  (-2 points) because what?

I am a little surprised by some of the girls he eliminated.  Poor Kylie didn't end up getting a rose after that embarrassing situation.  My favorite dress of the night, Christine, didn't get one!  (-2 points) because Crazy Amy didn't get one and I was looking forward to seeing that crazy every episode!  She's even crying right now.  Buh, Juan Pablo, you're such a fun-killer.  Lauren H. got cut and I'm glad that she did.  She was not ready to be in a new relationship, not even one with a guy who's dating many other girls.

Points for this round: -3 points
Current total of points: 5 points

Previews for the Entire Season:
There is so much Clare in these previews!  Nikki and Clare have some drama.  So much girl drama!  Some girl says "Juan Pablo, I hope you die!" Um, yeah, not sure who that is, but I don't think he's gonna pick her!  Honestly, I don't know that this season is going to be too exciting, so (-2 points) for that.  At the end, they show a scene of Juan Pablo and Sean dancing together.  They both magically go shirtless.  Sean says "Once you're Bachelor, it just naturally happens!" (+1 point) because that was actually funny.

Points for this round: -1 point
Current total of points: 4 points

When I graded Sean's premiere episode, I gave it a 5 and said it was probably a C+.  Desiree's got a 7, which I thought was B- material.  So I think a 4 would put this premiere in the C range.  Honestly, I do think there are a few good girls on this cast.  I think the premiere was probably better than just a C though.  However, I think the season as a whole is probably going to be in the C range, so I'm just predicting the future, okay?

Unlike with the two other seasons that I have done this post, I thought I would do something extra in this one and try to predict the girl that Juan Pablo will choose at the end based off of the edit.  Honestly, I just want to be able to look back and claim whether or not I'm a psychic!  As much as I want to pick Chelsie, or a much as I think I should pick someone like Andi or Clare, I am going to pick Kat!  She wasn't shown a lot in this premiere, but neither was Catherine. (Another Cat!)  (If you're reading this and know spoilers and I'm right (because obviously I'm almost always right!) - I can say with 100% honesty I know nothing about this season nor its results, so please don't tell me!)
Juan Pablo and the girls who are vying for his heart on this
season of 'The Bachelor!'  Photo Credit:  WetPaint
Did you watch tonight's premiere?  If so, what grade would YOU have given it?  And for fun - comment below with the name of the girl that you think Juan Pablo will choose at the end, so you can come back in a couple of months and see how close you were!  Feel free to leave other comments or tweet me @theonlytrace!

No comments:

Post a Comment