Friday, July 26, 2013

Hannah recaps/reviews Episode #8 of Next Food Network Star!

The Recap-

Photo Credit:  Food Network
Heading into this episode, only five remain to compete for the title of the next Food Network Star.  But wait, there's a twist!  Since Lovely's elimination, a series of challenges have been thrown at the eliminated contestants in what the Food Network calls "Star Salvation."  At the end of Star Salvation, only one previously eliminated contestant will remain and they will be brought back in for a second chance.  At the end of SS, viewers knew it was narrowed down to Lovely and Chad.  It's revealed in the first two minutes of the episode that Lovely was the one to prevail.  I'll add in my thoughts about this later.

But first, a small challenge is thrown at the remaining five six.  That challenge is to create a pasta dish.  Oh how I love this challenge.  I live for pasta!  From quick looks at all of the different pasta's, I would give the #HannahEdge to Nikki, Rodney, and Stacey solely because their pastas were the most appealing to.. me!  These six were fully prepared - stories and all - to present their dishes to the judges.  But wait, there's another twist!  The judges announce that they will be switching pasta dishes with one of the other six and will have to describe THAT person's dish.  A twist that I am very much in favor of!  In the end, the challenge was too much for most of them and Nikki ended up being "the only one to make them (the judges) hungry."  Therefore, Nikki won the advantage for the Star Challenge.  

This week's Star Challenge split the six into two groups of three.  These two groups would be sent to two
Photo Credit:  Food Network
different locations - a donut shop and a pizza place - and they would have to film a "show" of sorts about that location.  Nikki's advantage was that she got to pick her two teammates, and therefore fully pick both groups.  She chose her two closest friends in the competition: Stacey and Damaris.  The winning team would be safe from elimination, so one member of the losing team would be guaranteed elimination.  Stacey is quick to point out that if they lose, one from their friend-group would be out.  Terrible, I say!

Added note:  #TeamDonut consisted of Nikki, Stacey, and Damaris, while #TeamPizza consisted of Russell, Rodney, and Lovely.  It's fun to point out, from the AustHan NFNS Draft, that #TeamDonut was made up of three #TeamHannah member, whereas #TeamPizza consisted of two #TeamAustin members (and one of mine, because my team rocks and makes up four of the remaining six.  Thanks team!)  So, think of it as an AustHan Duel of sorts, if you will.  WHO WILL WIN?

Photo Credit:  Food Network
Well, it's time to find out!  The six shoot out to their locations to meet the owners of their respective locations and begin filming.  Honestly, I don't think a lot of them struggled.  Stacey had a lot to do in her segment and was trying too pay to much attention to all the details - therefore forcing her to rush and appear to talk over the Donut Man a lot.  Also, Lovely appeared to struggle as she was not connecting with the customers in her segment at the pizza shop.

Cut to judging, and it's pretty clear-cut that the judges preferred the food story presented by #TeamDonut, as it made them want to eat a strawberry-stuffed donut afterwards - whereas they weren't craving pizza after watching #TeamPizza. So, the bottom three consisted of Rodney, Russell, and Lovely.  The judges think that Rodney needs more food authority, Russell is making improvements but maybe not fast enough, and Lovely is having the same issues which led to her being eliminated the first time around.  Ultimately, the judges decide to send Lovely packing.. again!

The Review-

First, I'd like to share my opinions of Star Salvation.  Originally, I thought this was a really neat concept.  The show had never done something like this before, so I was excited to see how it played out.  Overall, I was pretty disappointed with it.  Maybe because my favorites (namely VIET, Chad, and Chris) did not benefit from it, but maybe not.  I think the show liked the idea of Lovely beating out all of those to arrive after her, after all, it is a great story.  BUT, I truly don't think Lovely is cut out to win the show, so to bring her back just seems like a kind of failed idea.  (For instance, do you remember Chad on video in that first episode?  There was great star potential from him (and others) and not just one moment here and there.  If this was a camera-personality-based show, I feel like he (or maybe another) should have returned.)  Also, to bring Lovely back and eliminate her AGAIN in the episode, just makes a joke out of Star Salvation.
Photo Credit:  Food Network

This week also may have brought us to the end of the Russell roller coaster, as it was another "down" week for Russell.  I personally like the introduction that he gave for their food story.  Yes, it had its faults, but in general, I think it showed that he has a good presence on camera, which is really what this show is all about.  Then again, we've reached that point in the competition that (for the most part) only the really strong are still around, so the judges have nothing to do BUT dissect everything into parts and eliminate people for minor errors.

At this point, I truly believe that Nikki will make it to the final three (or whatever the audience gets to vote on).. and I'm perfectly okay with that!  Nikki has a great presence on camera.  Her personality makes me feel like she could befriend any person she encounters.  She has been fairly consistent throughout the run of the show and has shown improvements along the way.  And to top it all off, I think she has a pretty fantastic point of view.  Meat on the side is an interesting concept that you don't hear thrown around a lot, and to be honest, I'm not sure that I have ever heard it thrown around!  Therefore, I could see a really neat show come out of her POV and I could see people relating to it a lot.

Other things that I loved about this episode?  First, I love Rodney's personality.  You never know what to expect from him - and I can tell you, it's pretty much the same way in real life!  I love that he's trying to "expand his food vocabulary" but still keeps his quirky phrases like "Bada bing!"  If Rodney had a show, I fully imagine that it would be a really fun one that would keep you entertained the whole way through!  Second, Damaris is awesome.  Her introduction at the donut shop was on. point.  The little things she does like worrying about whether or not there is stuff in her teeth before presentations makes me like her even more.  Plus, she's like the perfect type of personality to take over Paula Deen's role on the FN.  Am I right? ;)  And lastly, Stacey.  While Stacey struggled this week, I still think she has a strong chance of making the final three.  She has been consistent up until this episode.  While she can seem scripted, I don't know that she necessarily wants to be.  I think that's just her personality - kind of like the type to like control of situations, is how I think of it anyway.

Only five remain to compete for the title.  Who would YOU like to see with their own show on
the Food Network?  
Original Photo Credit:  Food Network
So, we're down to the final five!  If the show holds true to form (a final three - or even a final four like last season) #TeamHannah is guaranteed two members making the finale, maybe three!  MAYBE FOUR!!!  I promise, I have no connection to Food Network and solely chose my draft members off first impressions (and a bit of depression, after losing out on my top draft pick.)  I'm really excited to see how the season plays out and you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be voting solely for one (or more) members of  #TeamHannah when the time comes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment