Thursday, January 10, 2013

Throwback Thursday: I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here



It’s throwback Thursday! And, in honor of “Speidi” and their appearance on CBB, I have been inspired to revisit one of my all time favorite reality shows. “I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!” What was not to love about this show? It had everything to offer a pop culture and reality TV obsessed viewer like myself. If you didn’t watch this masterpiece, then let it be known that you missed out on some quality television my friends. If you’re banging your head against a wall right now, because you’re heartbroken over missing out on the I.A.C.G.M.O.H bandwagon, fear not! Step into my delorean, as I guide you through some of the highlights of one of my favorite reality competition shows.

In the summer of 2009, NBC adapted and began airing the popular UK series in the states. However, this wasn’t the first time the show had aired in the US. In 2003, ABC became the first network in the states to air the series. Technically speaking, this would make the NBC series the unofficial second season of the show. Let it be known, that I viewed and equally loved both versions.

The first season began airing nightly in February 2003, with 10 celebrity castaways. Please note that shows that air nightly excite me greatly! You just get so much more into them that way. The first season was set in the Australian Outback (TBT Fun Fact: The Australian Outback was also my favorite season of Survivor!) and included the following personalities; Cris Judd, Melissa Rivers, John Melendez, Downtown Julie Brown, Tyson Beckford, Nikki Ziering, Maria Conchita Alonso, Alana Stewart, and Robin Leach. Okay, so there wasn’t exactly an overwhelming amount of star power here. Some of these guys were quite interesting though! The fact that Bruce Jenner was approached to do a reality show in a Pre-K (that’s Pre-Kardashian) world should be considered a compliment!

There wasn’t a ton of serious drama to be found that I can recall, but I do remember cheering on Melissa Rivers…for obvious reasons. Have you seen this girl on a reality show? She’s insane! Both from a mental and competitive standpoint. 

Season two was a much larger production! We were taken to the jungles of Costa Rica, with Lou Diamond Phillips, Torrie Wilson, John Salley, Patti Blagojevich, Sanjaya Malakar, Holly Montag, Spencer Pratt, Hedi Montag, Stephen Baldwin, Daniel Baldwin, Janice Dickinson, Francis Callier, and Angela V. Shelton. Clearly a more relevant and recognizable cast than the first installment. The drama this season was intense! First of all, the comedians Francis and Angela left the show in episode one for various reasons. Heidi and Spencer left, came back, and left again, which led to producers bringing in Heidi’s sister Holly Montag. Who then fell into a showmance with Sanjaya. Janice Dickson, was the black sheep of the group. Everyone had an issue with her at one time or another. This is likely the reason why I cheered her on. In addition to rooting for #TeamJanice I was also rooting on Patti. Her husband was one of the most hated men in America at that time, and it felt like the right thing to do. Ultimately, Lou Diamond Phillips beat out Torrie Wilson for the title of last celeb standing.

Sadly, the franchise died shortly after. NBC announced in the spring of 2010 that the show would not be returning. I was crushed to say the least!
If I’ve taught you anything today, it’s that I love all things celebrities. And, you need to YouTube this show and schedule a marathon asap! It’s well worth it! 

I leave you now with some classic clips, that are sure to find their way into the AustHan vault! 


































 Unfortunately, I could find no clips from the ABC version of the show. Meaning, no Bruce or Melissa clips! I know you're all as sad as I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment