Thursday, January 3, 2013

Take 5: The Walking Dead



New episodes return February 10th on AMC!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last 3 years, you’ll know that a cult like trend is sweeping the globe. The impending zombie apocalypse! This trend has been quite a hit in Hollywood, birthing multiple works of cinematic flesh eating art. Most notably, “The Walking Dead”.  Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I missed the boat on this one. I heard people talk about the show nonstop! It was ridiculous. Being the stubborn guy that I am, I resisted the movement. Maybe it was the way that people constantly blew up my Facebook news-feed, or the way that a girl that I worked with (who may or may not have had little to no class and wore sweats to work on multiple occasions...don’t get me started!) constantly told me “it’s the best show ever!” that turned me off. The world may never know!

Fast forward to last Saturday, where my forever lazy wearing self and I, lounged on the couch browsing Netflix. I wasn’t having much luck, and I was pretty set on doing nothing that day…in my defense, it was snowy and I don’t play that game! So, I decided to finally break down and checkout TWD. OHHHMIIIGOOSSHHH you guys! It was like a walker jumped out of the screen and devoured my pasty flesh. I had been bitten! I continued to watch the entire first and second season that day, something that I consider to be a bit of a personal record, and followed up with what's been aired of third on New Year’s Day. I’m obsessed. In fact, I’m stocking my basement with non-perishables and ammunition as I type this! Okay, not really but you get my point!

This brings me to the main point of this article. Take 5: Walking Dead Edition. Take 5 will be an ongoing thing here at AustHan’s world, showcasing my (or Hannah’s) five favorite things about a particular show.  I couldn’t think of a better show to kick things off with!

WARNING: If you haven’t seen the show and plan on watching old episodes, then I suggest you read no further. #SpoilerCity

1. Carol and Daryl’s Relationship:


By far my favorite character on the show, Carol’s entire family has bit the dust (It’s okay though, because her husband was a major d-bag!). She rocks a buzz cut, and has basically become a surgeon. Should the zombie apocalypse unleash itself on the world tomorrow, I can only hope that there’s time for me to hold casting calls for my group. I need a Carol! Then we have Daryl. He’s rough! The man eats squirrels, and drives his Harley through the desolate streets of post apocalyptic America. Hardcore, right?  So, Daryl’s brother Merle is missing and Carol’s family is out of the picture. She’s single and ready to mingle, and she wants herself a little Daryl! He’s hesitant though. Possibly because Care Bear's a bit of a cougar, and I'm positive that Daryl has some issues with his dead mother. In one of the most recent episodes Carol, who was thought to be dead, is discovered alive by Daryl. I can only hope that this further encourages their relationship! #TeamCaryl

2. The Soapy Stories:

The fact that the writers have been able to include a steamy pregnancy scandal into the show is simply amazing. I live for these kinds of things! Let’s be honest here, these are what keep me going. When it’s discovered that Laurie has been hanging out in the Shane sandbox while Rick (her husband and Shane’s best friend!) was thought to be dead, I couldn’t contain myself. Fast forward a few episodes later, and someone’s knocked up! PERFECT! You don’t get better story lines than that my friends.

3. The Fact that Herschel Kept His Family in the Barn:

This was such a shocker! Okay, not really. I called it from the beginning! Herschel was in total denial that the world was falling apart. He thought that his infected family members would come back to life somehow. Sort of the same way fans of Lindsay Lohan feel about her career! It was clear that it wasn’t going to happen, but he didn’t want to believe it. He kept it quiet, and Patricia fed the pet walkers chickens each morning. I just love the fact that he kept these things that wanted nothing more than to eat his intestines.

4. The Fact that One of the Prisoners Thought That Carol Was a Lesbian:

I'm not a lesbian!
Who said a heterosexual woman couldn’t sport a nice fade? Apparently, Otis the redneck prisoner, wasn’t up to speed on the trendy ways abused housewives were wearing their locks prior to the apocalypse. He was in search of a bit of shall we say “affection”, and totally dismissed her because he thought she was swimming in the lady pond. When she informs him that she’s as straight as one of Daryl’s arrows, she shuts him down in a way that can only be described as ultimate. Again earning her my heart!

5. The Special Effects:

My somewhat random opinions aside, let’s get serious for a moment. This show has amazing special effects. The zombies come to life! If December 21st hadn’t already happened, I would picture the end of the world no other way. It takes a lot of talent to make these things come to life. Kudos to the WD special effects team!

Honorable Mention:  Herschel’s pony tail in season 3 – Don’t get me started!

No comments:

Post a Comment