Thursday, January 17, 2013

Throwback Thursday: America's Most Smartest Model

For this week's Throwback Thursday, I'm going to discuss a reality television show that aired for one season on VH1: America's Most Smartest Model.  This show aired in the Fall/Winter of 2007 and was a huge guilty pleasure of mine!  The show started off with 16 models who were all competing for the title of "America's Most Smartest Model." (Note: The grammar error in the show's title was no mistake, folks!)  The challenges on this show were more focused on the brains, rather than the beauty, of these models.
"It is not a car.  It is a vehicle." -Andre
So, I rewatched this show about a year ago.  If you so feel inclined, you can watch all of the episodes for free on Hulu HERE. And surprisingly enough, this show was still great the second time around!  Let's first focus on those that made guest appearances on the show!

Bill Nye the Science Guy
  • Bill Nye the Science Guy:  Everyone's favorite scientist appeared on this show!  That alone should convince you that AMSM is worth watching!  Bill Nye shows up for episode #4 of this show and the models compete in a science fair.
  • Santino Rice:  Santino was a personal favorite of mine during his days on Project Runway, season two.  He also had a short-lived show with fellow Project Runway designer, Austin Scarlett, On The Road with Austin and Santino.  I can't say I ever watched that one, though.  Santino Rice makes his appearance on what I believe was episode #6.  The models were brought into a workroom similar to the one found on Project Runway and had to measure and cut out various shapes.  Whoever won this challenge got to pick the shapes that each duo of models would get to use in designing a geometric outfit.  Another episode worth the watch.
  • Ben Stein:  The most exciting talker in the world was not a guest star on this show, but he was a main judge!  Even better.  Ben Stein is actually hilarious on this show and was always my favorite of the two judges!
Another great thing about this show was the cast!  You had your villains in people like Andre and VJ.  You had your lovable bromance in Pickel and Brett.  You had likable female contestants like Angela and Aussie Rachel.  You had the extremely annoying contestants in Mandy Lynn and Daniel.  This show was definitely not lacking on the entertainment, I can promise you that. 
"It keeps my perfect hair even perfecter." -Blonde Rachel

Brett Novek and Jeff Pickel
My favorite part of the show though was obviously the bromance between Pickel and Brett.  What's even better about this is that the two went on to be roommates and friends after the show!  I truly believe that VH1 should have invested in some kind of spin-off show for these two, but alas, my dreams for that were crushed...

Although none of these models have gone on to be huge successes, I have still seen them out and about in the real world.  Brett has been on a few commercials that were vaguely popular: including a Taco Bell commercial (I don't remember much other than it was set in a bar.) and this one that has been forever burned into my memory.  (Brett can be found trimming the bushes in this commercial.)


Once, I was venturing around KMart only to find Pickel as the model for covers for bean bag chairs! (Hey! I never said these people were popular.. I just said they've been "out there.")  I also believe it was Pickel who had a pretty nice spread in a magazine.. I honestly should remember which magazine, but I can't, so I'm going to just say GQ and play it safe.

The cast of "America's Most Smartest Model"
Lisa went on to be one of the models on Deal or No Deal.  Andre has been featured in magazines like Esquire.  Mandy Lynn had apparently been in Playboy, which I mean, doesn't surprise me.  A few of the models from this show have also made short appearances in movies and TV shows, like How I Met Your Mother, Hannah Montana, Meet the Spartans, Nip/Tuck, and VH1's Kept.  Andre was also charged for harassment and misconduct during the show's airing, which wouldn't really be a surprise to you if you had watched the show/seen his personality.  

This show was supposed to return for a second season sometime shortly after the first, but apparently it fizzled out and just never happened.  But I'll tell you this, I did follow this supposed second season for a couple years on Wikipedia.  Any mentions of a second season have since been removed from Wikipedia.

Cast bios, episode recaps, photos, and more can still be found HERE on VH1's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment