Thursday, January 17, 2013

Project Runway All-Stars: Finale Recap!

Note:  If you have not yet watched the finale, you will probably not want to read this, as it contains spoilers aplenty!


It’s the final episode of Project Runway All-Stars and we are down to the final three: Uli, Anthony Ryan, and Emilio!  The three designers will be given three days to put together a seven-piece collection to walk down the runway in hopes of claiming the title.  Let it be known that at this point, I am rooting for Emilio to win it all, because his designs are the most like something I would want to wear.

The eliminated designers from this season are all brought back and the three final designers all get to pick someone to help them with their collection.  Anthony Ryan picks Joshua and Joshua refuses!!! They are best friends, but Joshua still seems too upset about not making the final three and too tired to help Anthony Ryan out.  Then, Anthony Ryan decides to pick Kayne, who placed 9th on this season.  Uli picks Casanova, who placed 7th.  Emilio picks Althea, who placed 8th! I loved Althea on her first season (season 6)!  I can’t understand why Uli picked Casanova though.  From his seasons, I have always found him to be seemingly more difficult to work with than other designers in the competition. 

Anthony Ryan Auld,
All-Stars 2 Fan Favorite
During commercial break, it is announced that Anthony Ryan was voted to be the fan favorite designer of the season.  I believe he either won or was in the top two for this award during season 9, so this win comes as no surprise to me!

We’re back and Casanova doesn’t seem too dedicated to helping out Uli.  Keep in mind that there are only three days to put together these collections.  Uli is working away while Casanova puts in time for naps.  Like I said, I’m not sure why she picked him besides the fact that when he does work, he can usually work quite fast.  He really has no excuse for resting though because he only has to help two of the three days of this final challenge.

Uli’s collection is going to be a winter wonderland theme and will be consisting of a lot of white.  I love her work, but just wish it were not always white all the time.  Anthony Ryan is inspired by the last challenge and wants to go on the darker route.  There is going to be a lot of black, blue, and yellow in his collection.  I’m not too impressed by anything that I’m seeing in Anthony Ryan’s collection.  Emilio seems to be working at a slower pace than the others so therefore is further behind in his designs at this point.  His collection is “Urban Plantation.”  His collection sounds like it’ll be very unique if he can pull it off in the short amount of time.

Emilio and Althea have a good partnership.  Anthony Ryan is a fan of having Kayne help him, because he’s a fast worker and helpful to have around.  Casanova seems to help more on the last day he’s there to help, but now the helping designers must leave and the final three must fend for themselves.  I have to say that this is a little less entertaining with Joshua and his quotes gone from the episode. :(

It’s the final day and day of the runway show.  Anthony Ryan is very blue… literally.  He is sporting a long-sleeved blue dress shirt, blue bow tie, and blue pants! Wow!  “I’m blue da ba dee da ba die” automatically comes to mind when I see this outfit of his!  Woo! Eiffel 65!

Time for the runway!
One of Emilio Sosa's designs from
this season of All-Stars
  1. Up first, in the final runway show is EMILIO!!!  His theme is Urban Plantation.  All the models are wearing large red bows in their hair.  The collection is mostly neutral (black and white) with a lot of prints.  There is this one print used throughout his collection though that is very colorful, red, and almost tribal.  Considering that Emilio loves using the color red, I think this was a good choice for his collection.  This collection is very nice and very Emilio, but I’m not quite so sure if it will get him the win.
  2. Next, Anthony Ryan, I can only hope his collection has a lot of blue!  His theme is, I believe, The Thin Line.  The collection is very simple at times, but I find it very likable.  I don’t think his collection consists of much variety though, as it seems that all he has in it are dresses.  Sure they are different, but in ways, they are also a lot alike.  I feel somewhat unimpressed with the collection as a whole because of this.
  3. And last, we have Uli, I feel like from what I have seen so far, that I’ll actually love her collection.  Her theme is Mystical Winter.  I LOVE the use of beading and shiny things in this collection.  Those two things are my weakness in fashion.  I feel that Uli did the most detailed work given the very short amount of time.  Uli’s collection has a lot of different textures and the background music even compliments it very nicely.  Overall, I feel that Uli’s collection and show was the best of the three.  I think I might even want her to be the one to win after that collection!

But, I’ll let it be known that all of the collections were amazing considering that the designers only had 3-4 days to work on them.  In normal seasons of Project Runway, the designers have weeks and maybe even MONTHS to put together these shows.  And surely they had a lot more money than these designers, so I am very impressed to see that all three collections turned out nice and cohesive.

Now, we move on to the judging part of the show..
  1. First up is Emilio’s collection.  The judges seem to really love Emilio’s collection and they believe it does a great job of showing his point of view.  What Emilio has really going for him more than anything is his amazing construction and also his use of colors, as he is more bold with color than the other two.  The judges think he could have experimented more and that sometimes parts of the collection seemed more junior than they should have.
  2. Next they judge Anthony Ryan’s collection.  The first dress from the collection gets amazing compliments!  But to say it’s the best dress to ever be on the show might be a bit of an exaggeration.  The last piece of the collection gets some negative comments.  Not much time spent on talking about Anthony Ryan’s collection.  I feel like this episode is so rushed.
  3. Last they judge Uli’s collection, my favorite of the three.  The judges say it has a strong point of view and that it’s amazing how she can blow people away with her use of fabrics.  The judges think the hair and makeup were the most interesting of all three collections.  Some negative comments are given to Uli based on her use of many feathers, pieces of fur, and afterthoughts such as placements of beading.

When the judges are talking about all of the collections, they are finding negatives in all three collections.  Isaac likes that Emilio used his collection to say something and have a somewhat political point of view.  They think Anthony Ryan’s collection seems the freshest and newest of the three.  A lot of negative comments are given regarding the length of the pieces in Anthony Ryan’s collection.  They think that Uli’s collection is emotional and psychological.  They believe that Uli’s collection takes you to another place, but they are somewhat letdown by some parts of her collection.  I still think Uli did the best with her collection, and that she experimented a lot more with her collection than others, so therefore I’ve changed my mind and now want Uli to win!

Uli Herzner, second
runner-up of All-Stars 2
Woo! Time to find out who wins Project Runway All-Stars 2!  The prize is huge!  The 2nd runner up is Uli!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!! I am actually so upset about this because she was by far the best on this episode!  I guess I just always root for the third place finishers… (cough cough Viktor Luna, season 9)

Anthony Ryan Auld, WINNER
of Project Runway All-Stars 2!
The winner of Project Runway All Stars 2 is…. Anthony Ryan???? I love him, but I am not very satisfied with this result.  I feel like the least time was spent discussing his final collection and I feel they had the most complaints or problems with his collection.  But I mean, I guess he was the strongest throughout the whole competition, and I guess it’s a good thing he won because his future as a designer was being questioned for him because he didn’t seem to have the money to keep doing it.. but shouldn’t that say something about his work/how much work he gets?  Whatever, I’m happy for him.  Plus he’s from season 9, one of my ultimate favorite seasons, so … okay, congrats congrats. (Note: I’m still going to pretend that Uli won the whole thing…)

And that brings this season to an end.  As a whole, I would say it was a great season, and miles above the first All-Stars season!  

Next Thursday, Project Runway: Teams (season 11) premieres at 9pm on Lifetime!  Mark your calendars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment